Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Broken Hearted Gratitude.

I sit in my mosque with my 4 month old son playing and cooing on the prayer mat in front of me. The melodic sound of the call to prayer makes him giggle audibly. I want to encourage his laughter by giggling back, but I refrain out of respect for the blessed occasion. As I listen to the Friday sermon, focusing on the message of peace and moral training passed along from my beloved imam, I think only of how grateful I am. To be here, to be able to bring my baby here, to feel safe in this place, and to have the freedom to practice my faith in this country.

My heart is broken for those who are killed for their faith. Sometimes the world cares, and other times no one speaks up. Having my own child now, my heart breaks for the children who cannot go to their places of worship because they aren't safe, and for the parents who can't take them there.

I have nothing enlightened to say about this, apart from: please allow this blog post to be a call to action. Let us wear our faith proudly. If we have the freedom to go to our places of worship, let us go often to the house of God.

We all have days when we're tired, when the to-do list is too long and the only reasonable solution seems to be to remove visiting the mosque/church/temple from the list.

I vow to go for those who cannot. I vow to proclaim my faith for those who are afraid.

Do you?

#prayfornewzealand

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, most of the times we have “NOT IMPORTANT AT ALL” over the “IMPORTANT” on our to-do list.
It was a very good piece to read. Thanks. Keep writing. Please don’t take long pauses.

Aneela Nasir said...

@Anonymous So true! Thank you for reading and sticking around, just for you, I will write another post TODAY!!
xo Aneela

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Waiting...

Aneela Nasir said...

@Anonymous Done! You're welcome!

Anonymous said...

It was very nice to see you new blogs, always so well written. This one is quite moving, by the way your son is just sooo adorable :)
The other drink receipe I also googled to see more, quite famous in villages :)

Aneela Nasir said...

@Anonymous Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm glad you like my posts and my baby!!
xo Aneela